Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Back to basics

Even though it was my day off I was quite tired today.  But regardless I drug myself out to the barn since the weather was amazing.  It was slightly chilly, sunny, and just perfect for riding.
The one flaw was the fact it has rained for almost two days straight here in East TN.  So the paddock I am now riding in was quite wet still.
So I decided it was a day to work on the walk to avoid slipping and sliding around in the mud I knew was lurking under the grass.

Thankfully Gracie was in a good mood today and went right into work.  None of her usual stopping and throwing fits that can occur at the beginning of a ride.  Maybe we are getting to the point she once again has a work ethic...maybe.  Not holding my breath or anything.
But she was all about the cows, or lack of cows, in the field across the street.  So we spent a fair amount of time working on going past those points without having to be all "looky" at the cows way at the bottom of the field.

Mainly we worked on lots of bending and changing direction with a constant contact.  Added in lots of walk/halt/walk transitions to get her through and listening to me.  Then I started with some lateral work.  Did leg yield away and to the fence line so she was moving evenly and respectfully off both legs.  Next I worked on shoulder-in and haunches-in.  I swear she is getting alot better at both of those.  When she was actually in the zone and listening to me they were good today.  When she was off in cow land they were just okay.
Poor mare she is just a bit ADD.

So overall even with the limitation of gaits it was a productive day.  And some days it is just good to go down to the basics and work on nothing else.  Today was one of those days.
It was so nice to feel her so light in my hands and listening to my aids.  :)

                                                          Gracie posing for the camera.
All ready for a good workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment