Monday, March 8, 2010

The sun! It does exist!

So after so much time of nothing but rain, snow, and gloom everyone here in TN was blessed with seeing the sun!!  I am not sure about everyone else but I was damn sure going to go enjoy it with my horse.

Sadly her sole bruise in the right front lasted well over a month.  This stopped us from going to the schooling show at RiverGlen this past Saturday.  But such is life and there will always be other shows.  I am only happy that she is now sound and coming back into work. 

So today was my first day on her...in over a month.  First she tried the sucking back and not moving.  Just for old times sake, and to see if I REALLY meant that her vacation was over.  She learned it was. 
Next, she decided to spook at the vet working at his truck as he floated a few horses teeth.  Gracie's idea of a spook is to hop forward in her "look at me I have standardbred in me" trot, so it is totally managable thankfully. 
But that got her fire going and I used it to my advantage.  I like them a bit UP as it is so much easier to get them in front of your leg and working.

So today I just focused on forward and straight with a good steady rythmn.  We got the first two fairly early on, but she loves to zoom once she hits the open end of a circle or say going down the longside.  So half-halt, half-halt was my solution. 
I guess I finally asked her in the right way as she finally became steady eddy and the rest of the ride was quite nice.  Just stayed in the walk/trot. I will add the canter back in tomorrow or Wednesday I think. 

Though as we were ending the ride on a nice long and low stretchy trot the CAT OF DOOOOOOOMM jumped out of a hole in the kickboards of the indoor.  Holy hell that mare shot out from under me and was across the diagnol in 2 seconds flat!! Good thing I stayed on.  LoL.

Oh and the spoiled little mare got a very long massage before our ride.  I am jealous as I need one too.  She just better be happy her mom is a massage therapist.  ;p;p It is the only time Gracie will stand still for that long and be happy about doing it!

So we are getting back on track for our plans. 
Have a clinic with Jim Koford in a few weekends, and then right after with Cathy Fox. 
I better get my butt back in shape and soon!!!

1 comment: